Friday, September 12, 2008

Head Lice Treatment for Super Lice

At the end of August last year while my kids and I were anxiously awaiting the start of the new school year we noticed we all had itchy heads. I didn't give much thought to it as I had just switched our shampoo and I attributed the itching to dry scalp. It wasn't until the second day after school started when I realized, much to my dismay and embarrassment, that we all had head lice. For sure, this was no way to start the new school year. I was mortified and felt completely overwhelmed by the whole situation.

Because I was completely freaked out and in need of a quick fix I wasn't prepared to handle the situation in a natural way and I certainly wasn't thinking of sitting down and researching home remedies for head lice. I just wanted to get rid of these nasty creatures and get rid of them NOW! So, I did what most people do and ran right to the local drugstore and purchased the first lice treatment product I could find. This was regardless of the fact that it was, for sure, chemically laden. I was a woman on a mission.

While I was applying the lice treatment the stench of chemicals was incredibly powerful. I couldn't help but wonder how caustic this product must be and what kind of effect it would have on us. Add to that my misery of having to re-apply the product to two of my four children because the first application was ineffective.

For the next 4 days I became Monkey Mom and Laundry Queen all at the same time and I had lots of nit picking time to ponder such phrases as "do you have to be so nit picky", "what a louse" or "this is louse-y".

When I had a chance to research head lice and head lice treatments I found that the product I used contained lindane, a chemical which is structurally very similar to hazardous banned pesticides such as DDt and Chlordane. Lindane, according to Wikipedia, primarily affects the nervous system, liver and kidneys and may be a carcinogen and/or endocrine disruptor. Great right?

My research also enlightened me to the fact that head lice are becoming resistant to the insecticides and pesticides currently on the market very much like germs are becoming antibacterial resistant due to the overuse of antibacterial products. These products are turning head lice into super head lice. This came as no surprise to me given the need for two applications of these chemicals to my children.

Below is a video by CBS News on the Super Lice and how this is not a myth.



Pesticide resistance is a good reason to turn to essential oils for the treatment of head lice. Essential oils are derived from plants and, like humans, no two plants are exactly alike. This individuality allows the compounds that make up the essential oil, the plant's lifeblood, to be unique. This uniqueness prevents any lice or germ from replicating the oil and from allowing it to become stronger.

You can be sure that if there ever is a next time I have to deal with head lice or nits there is no question I am using my essential oils. That is, now that I have them on hand!



Don't get caught without your essential oils. If you have concern over head lice this year and don't want to use chemicals to treat them may I recommend you make sure you have these 100% Therapeutic Grade Oils in your home too:

Purchase the Head Lice Blend at Preferred Customer Pricing - Contact Me for this Special Offer.......

The Essential Oils Desk Reference, 3rd Edition's recommendations for head lice treatment

Single Oils:

Eucalptus Radiata, Lavender, Peppermint, Thyme, Geranium, Nutmeg, Rosemary

Blends:

Head Lice Blend:
Application

Dilute 50-50, 1 tsp. applied to scalp. Massage into enire scalp, cover with disposable shower cap and leave for a least 1/2 hour. then shampoo and rinse well. Use the following rinse:



Head Lice Rinse:
  • 2 drops Eucalyptus Radiata
  • 2 drops Lavender
  • 2 drops Geranium
  • 1/2 ounce vinegar
  • 8 ounce water
Mix into a container with a watertight lid. Shake vigorously, then pour over hair making sure every strand is rinsed. This should be done leaning over bathtub or sink. This is not recommended if you are still in the bathtub as lice may cling to other body hairs. Dry naturally. Repeat daily until lice and eggs are gone.


Ahh, just typing that out smelled good

Don't have head lice but looking for Head Lice Prevention? Try adding 2-3 drops of Tea Tree Oil into your Shampoo or Conditioner. Lice don't like the smell.

If you have any questions or need help ordering please let me know. I'd love to help!

Yours in Scentsible Wellness,
Elizabeth

No comments: