Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Heading Back to School - Your Oils Arsenal

Back to School Are you ready for back to school? If you're a parent with a school aged child this is a question you hear constantly this time of year. My answer is always no!

Let me clarify, from a tangible, physical standpoint we are ready - we have our clothes, our backpacks are packed, and we have our much needed school supplies but it seems, in our house, we are never emotionally ready.

In our house the start of the school year is filled with emotions. Depending on which one of my four children you speak with you'll get a different emotion associated with school. The range is wide and includes nervousness, anger, excitement, anticipation, and confidence. Add to that my own anxiety and anticipation for what the school year will bring and what you have is a house filled with emotions running on high.

To me there's no better time to ensure that my back to school arsenal is well stocked with essential oils and nutritional supplements to help make a smoother transition from summer to school. It gives me some peace of mind to know I can help alleviate some of our anxieties with proper nutrition and with the help of 100% pure essential oils. Following is what I have in our back to school arsenal to help us start the school year off right.

Good nutrition is key for a happy mind and body and is vital to build a healthy immune system. To help bolster my kids' emotional and physical health I supplement their diets with:



  • Kids MightyVites - A nutrient-dense whole food source multi-vitamin which contain super fruits, plants and veggies that deliver the full-spectrum of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients for children's developing bodies.


  • Omega Blue - clinically proven dose of omega-3 (EPA, DHA) fatty acid nutrients. Fish oils and omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to help children who cannot focus while at school. We've had great results using Omega-3 fatty acids. These work great for my older guy as he can swallow pills but for my younger ones I use Coromega Omega-3 Supplement


  • NingXia Red Singles - I drop one of these single packs in the kids lunch boxes to give them a good boost of vitamins and minerals in the middle of their day. Its an excellent way to ensure they are getting their needed vitamins throughout their day.


  • Manna Bars - a multi grain snack bar made with nutrient-rich whole foods. The bars are a healthy snack alternative to other sugary non-nutritious snacks and give good steady energy to busy minds and bodies.




Aromatherapy, through the use of Essential Oils, is a great way to help your child through times of nervousness, anxiety, to help clear their minds, and to help them with studying. Using a cold air diffuser at home and having them wear a Terra-cotta pendant or bracelet at school is an excellent way to provide the needed aromatherapy. Read Aromatherapy for Students to learn more about using essential oils for improving concentration, increasing memory, improving study skills, and helping your student think clearly. Here is a list of the oils we'll be using throughout the school year:


  • Lemon - When diffused, lemon has been known to refresh and stimulate the mind, improve memory, and promote a sense of well-being. Its scent is revitalizing and uplifting. My middle guy will have this on his Terra-Cotta Pendant, especially on his first day of first grade. This is his favorite oil and I am sure it will bring him comfort while away from home. We will also be diffusing lemon while doing homework.


  • Peppermint - Dr. William N. Dember of the University of Cincinnati studied peppermint's ability to improve concentration and mental sharpness. We'll diffuse this oil during homework if we are having trouble concentrating.


  • Clarity - After researching this blend for a friend I had to add it to our arsenal. I am putting this essential oil blend in a roll on for my oldest son to discretely apply to his wrists when he feels he needs focus. After reading about the benefits of Clarity I am hopeful that it will help.


  • Jasmine - My daughter Cait will wear this on her Terra-Cotta Pendant. Jasmine relaxes, soothes, uplifts, and enhances self-confidence. This is her oil of choice and in my opinion, it couldn't be a better oil for her to take to school.


  • Peace and Calming Essential Oil Blend - This is a must have! When diffused, it helps calm tensions and uplift the spirit, promoting relaxation and a deep sense of peace. When massaged on the bottoms of the feet, it can be a wonderful prelude to a peaceful night's rest. Peace & Calming may be especially calming and comforting to young children after an overactive and stressful day.


  • Thieves Essential Oil Blend - My children won't leave for the day without a loving foot rub with Thieves Essential Oil Blend. This is a fun ritual we perform every morning. Its a great time to give your child that extra love they need to start the day happy. You'll also be giving their bodies help in fighting off all those nasty germs that they encounter throughout their day.

And while I am providing my children with good nutrition and helping them by using essential oils it is ever important to make sure I am protecting them from all the germs that are abundant in their classrooms. So, in addition to their morning foot rubs, each of my children's backpacks contains their own Thieves Hand Purifier for use throughout their day. I love this hand purifier because it doesn't contain the antibacterial triclosan nor the dreaded isopropyl alcohol that poses problems when children ingest it. I love this purifier because the Thieves essential oil blend remains on the skin to continually purify long after application.


What's in your back to school arsenal?


If you have any questions or would like help with any of the items discussed above, please contact me. I am more than happy to help!


Yours in Scentsible Wellness,
Elizabeth

No comments: