Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mommy, Would You Rub Oils on My Feet Tonight?

These are the words I heard from my two boys the other night before I turned out thier lights for bedtime. My children love to have their feet rubbed with oils. Well, who wouldn't?

When my children request oils I let them choose which essential oil they want. Both my boys chose Lavender this night and their choice didn't surprise me.

You see, both boys were exhausted from a long day at summer camp so sleep shouldn't have been an issue but I knew that thier heads were all a buzz from all the excitement they experienced that day. I was happy with their choice because it showed me that they instinctively knew that Lavender would calm them and enable them to get to sleep.


I love when my children ask for oils; it shows me that they see the benefit of using the oils and that I have given my children a natural tool to help them maintain their health. In this case, good quality sleep.

Here are some quick guidelines to follow when using essential oils with children:

  • Always use a reputable, therapeutic grade essential oils such as Young Living Essential Oils with them. Synthetic copies of oils commonly used in perfumery are not appropriate, and may even be harmful to your child’s health.

  • Keep all essential oils out of the reach of young children; older children can be taught to respect and properly use essential oils, but they should nevertheless be supervised.

  • In general, when treating children with essential oils use one-third to one-half the adult dosage and select only nontoxic oils.

  • DO NOT USE AN ESSENTIAL OIL NEAT (undiluted ) on children’s skin, unless indicated to do so for a specific condition. Use a carrier oil such as V-6 Massage Oil or Sweet Almond Oil to dilute essential oils. Olive Oil a good choice if you don't have the other oils available.

  • If your child has very sensitive skin, it is important to test a small area before using a new single oil or blend. There are a few exceptions to this rule: it is acceptable to use the nonirritating oils lavender or tea tree undiluted on burns, insect bites, pimples and other skin eruptions-as long as you don't have extremely sensitive skin.

  • Keep essential oils away from the eyes.

  • When using citrus oils - orange, bergamot, lemon, tangerine, mandarin, and lime - do not use where the skin will be exposed to sunlight for the next 12 hours. These oils are considered 'phototoxic', and can react from the sun's rays.

My Children love their oils and each have thier own favorites. Aside from rubbing the oils on their feet, I use essential oils in thier bath and I diffuse the oils in our home.

I have also given a Terra Cotta Pendant to each of my children. They each have thier own favorite scent they have me put on their pendants. My daughter Cait loves her "sleepy oil" which to you and me is Jasmine. If you've ever had the pleasure of smelling Jasmine oil you would understand my darlings love for it. The scent is dreamy! Shane loves Lemon; it instantly calms him. And Aidan and Shannon love Lavender the best.

If you'd like to learn more about using essential oils with children click here. This is a good article to read.

Of course, if you have any questions about the oils and applying them to children I can help. Contact me and I'd be happy to help.

Yours in Scentsible Wellness,

Elizabeth

No comments: