Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Are You Frustrated with Critters Eating Your Plants?

I was too until I made this deer repellent with essential oils. The original recipe, without the added essential oils, is from Missouri Botanical Gardens. The source for the recipe said it has been used effectively for over 100 years to repel deer.

To this recipe, I added Thieves Essential Oil Blend because it contains both Clove Essential Oil and Cinnamon Essential Oil both which are known to repel animals. I then added Cayenne pepper because it is known to keep the chewers away; apparently they don't like the taste, who could blame them.

The end result is a natural repellent that actually works. I have found that it repels all of the critters that were eating my plants. Even the cute little groundhog family of 3 who reside in my backyard.

I have literally watched them sniff my plants and run.


Homemade Deer Repellent with Eggs

2 Eggs
1 cup of Water
1 cup of Skim Milk
1 squirt of liquid dish soap (helps make concoction sticky)
20 drops Clove Essential Oil , Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil or Thieves Essential Oil Blend
2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

In a Blender, mix two eggs to one cup of water. Blend well then add one cup of skim milk, dish soap, essential oil, and cayenne pepper. Put this mixture into a Spray Bottle and spray a light mist over the plant. For larger areas use a Lawn and Garden Sprayer. Straining the mixture prior to pouring it into the spray bottle or garden Sprayer is a good idea so your nozzel doesn't get clogged from the egg.

There will be very little odor but deer and other critters will not find it appetizing. Remember to re-apply after heavy rains.



I have used this mixture straight and I have diluted it by putting the mixture into a gallon jug and adding water to fill the jug. The dilution doesn't hurt its effectivness but be warned don't leave the unused portion sitting in your garage for any length of time - Rotten Eggs - Not a good smell

Want to know how you can get these oils at wholesale pricing? Maybe you need help ordering? Contact me, I am ready to help.

Yours in Scentsible Wellness,
Elizabeth

No comments: